Thursday, February 24, 2011

Spelldial - An Idea Whose Time Has Come

Did you ever have difficulty remembering numbers? I have. Numbers don't stick to my mind. They are as foreign as another language to me. I can memorize a max of 4 numbers which is my PIN for banking purposes. Anything beyond that needs to be written down. In my life, I can count in one hand the number of landlines I had to memorize, usually my home, my workplace and my mom's residence number in the U.S.

When cellphones became popular about 2 decades ago, eleven digits to memorize was even more daunting! I was eternally bound to my phonebook. To this day, I have memorized only 2: my husband's and my own. So can you imagine the dilemna I face when I reformatted my phone and lost almost half of my contacts! Rebuilding my phonebook was a tedious, frustating task.

Then came Spelldial - a smartphone application that allows you "to dial names, instead of numbers." When you register with Spelldial, you choose your username and attach your phone number to it. So if anyone would like to contact you but does not have your number, they may just go to Spelldial, input your name and be able to connect with you --- its that easy!

Another advantage is when you need to get in touch with a business or institution and don't have the luxury of looking through the yellow pages. If they are registered with Spelldial, you simply spell our their name and you are connected in a flash. Wow, think pizza delivery, ambulance from a hospital (no 911 in the Phils.), police assistance, reservations for 2 at a restaurant.

The best part of Spelldial is that it is the brainchild of a young techie from Cebu, Albert Padin. Driven by a passion to see this succeed and assisted with like-minded friends (like my daughter Jonina), they are hoping to change the way the world dials and connects. Give it a try. It may the best thing since yahoo mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment