Sunday, March 7, 2010

My Honey

When we arrived in Guangzhou last Feb. 6, there was another Filipina on the same flight who was also going for treatments at Fuda. Her name is Julie. She was alone. She was also diagnosed with breast cancer in 2006 and now it has metastasized to her bones. I asked her why she did not bring anyone with her. She said that her sister was supposed to go with her but later had to back out.
Later I found out that she is estranged from her husband. She has 3 kids with her (oldest being 12 and the youngest 8 if I remember right) in Saipan where she has been working as a waitress in a hotel for about 20 years. She had left all her kids with a friend.

When she got her PET scan results, she was heartbroken. The scan showed that she has some metastasis in the brain. The doctor here said that they cannot do any treatment regarding this situation and that she may have to go to Manila for radiation.

My heart goes out to Julie. She has only a young family and she is facing all these by herself. When we have a chance, we go down to see her (or she comes up to see us) just to chat or pray. She seems to be able to handle everything well and I am amazed at her resolve to do all she can for her children.

I then look at my situation and I feel extremely blessed. Doug has been with me through the difficult times especially after a treatment when I had to stay on my back for hours. He gets me my meals from elsewhere when I get sick of Chinese food. He buys fruit, nuts, bread and toiletries whenever he is out. He does the laundry and makes sure I always have clean pajamas. I am just thankful that I have him around.

As expected, he has become "the man" around here. The younger nurses fondly call him Uncle. When people want to go shopping or sight-seeing, they often ask him to come along. He introduced dimsum to some of the Fil-Ams and Fil-Cans here which they thoroughly enjoyed. He has become the friend of my doctor's husband and has baptized him with the English name John. He plays ping-pong with him, another Chinese and some Filipinos and is now the undisputed champ in the hospital!

I know that it hasn't been easy for him to not be so busy. Thank goodness for a gym that he found in a mall close by! The winter olympics provided great entertainment for him at times (except when they showed curling for hours on end!). I am beginning to think that boredom is slowly eating him up because the other day, I found him watching cartoons (he was happy to find Curious George!) and yesterday, he was intently watching a Chinese movie --- in Chinese without subtitles!

But it has been good just to be together. He hasn't commented on my looks even if I look like a mangy dog with my hair falling all over the place. I really appreciate that. Its been good just to have someone who is so solid when I am all melting in my emotional self at times. He reminds me of what the Lord has spoken and encourages me in my faith.

The proverb says: He who finds a wife, finds a good thing. I say: She who finds a good husband has hit the jackpot!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marl,
    Lorraine here. I am so glad I found your blog.Thanks for sharing your journey.I will definitely be following your blogs. Your stories are so humbling.I wish you the best always.You are always in my prayers.Hugs and kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your proverb is so true!! Thank God for giving us such good & loving husbands. Praying for you...

    ReplyDelete