Monday, February 15, 2010

Happy Chinese New Year

I spent Chinese New Year's eve and day with a fever. I was sleepy the whole day while they infused me with white blood cells and whatever else. There were some firecrackers but surprisingly, I think we have more back in the Philippines. Maybe it's our location.

It was cold and dreary on New Year's day but the smiles and cheerfulness of the staff more than made up for the depressing climate. The head doctor came in with the other doctors and brought a large tin of butter cookies as a gift for the New Year. We thought it was very kind of them. Doug had bought me a box of chocolates for Valentines (my favorite treat!) but since I had a fever I told him that I would probably just have one so I won't depress my immune system. So Doug offered chocolates to the nurses and the doctors.

Some Filipino guys came over and invited us to do the Pearl Cruise tomorrow night. Sounds like fun but since its been cold and wet, I doubt if I should be going out especially since I just got over my fever. I think Doug would enjoy it. He needs the fellowship and interaction. They also told us that they've worked out a system in their floor that they just buy the raw ingredients for a dish (like sinigang) and then give it to some Filipino lady in another room who cooks it up for them! Bayanihan talaga. I've been craving pinakbet for some reason. Can't wait to get home and eat some comfort food!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Marla,

    I am missing you here in Cebu. It is so obvious to me that the love and joy of the Lord is your strength. As I have watched you the past four months I have observed with my own eyes that this is true...the Joy of the Lord is Marla's strength! I notice it every time I see you walk into a room, the grace and love of the Lord is upon you and the evidence of His peace surrounds you. You are a living testimony to His Word that says 'when I am weak then He is strong!' Praise the Lord for your life and for demonstrating to me how it really looks to depend upon the Lord for 'everything'.
    I really enjoy reading your blogs and discover more and more of the precious gift of abundant life which the Lord has given you!
    God bless you and keep you!
    With much love and prayers for you and your family,
    Verna

    ReplyDelete